Saturday, February 27, 2010

woot!

It's been a productive day, at least here on the computer. My poor neglected house might beg to differ!

Besides finally posting several pictures here, I decided that I need a stamp to use on the back of cards when I make them. If I start doing that now, and passing them around, then when I finally get things started, my "business name" will be circulating. Okay, it won't go very far, but at least my friends will know it to share around, right?

So I went to a nifty website to design my stamp. I played with a few of their fonts and found one I really like, which they credited to fontdiner.com

Well, I didn't want to chance infringing on their rights, so I went directly to their site, discovered that it's okay to use for personal right, but I will need a license if I begin using it commercially. I emailed Stuart over there and he was nice enough to respond right away. He said as long as I buy the license before I go commercial, I can use it now for my personal stuff. How awesome and understanding is that? (And really, he has some awesome fonts - you should really check it out!)

The other font used was good old-fashioned century gothic - you know, the one that has been on every windows computer you've ever owned? Well, right up until Windows 7, that is. I was quite shocked to see that it wasn't there anymore, but luckily still had it in my windows.old directory. So I restored all my old fonts from there, too, and ended up not having to download and pay for a bunch of fun stuff again.

Well, since I've got all that now, I went ahead and ordered my stamp, which should be here in no time.

Then I thought "Well, I've got this cool new logo type thing, why not make it a real logo". Then I remembered why - I can't afford to buy and install a graphics program to create it with!

Today really has been my lucky day - I found the wonders of GIMP. I love open source software, but I especially love it when it does exactly what I want it to do - and easily. I spent a little time with the online tutorial, then managed to create a "logo" for this blog, as well as a brush to use on my images. So back I went through my blog and replaced all the pictures with stamped versions showing that they're copyright to me.

Watch out, world. I may actually be figuring out what I'm doing!

Of course, first I get to go have dinner with Jason and Garrett. I've been waaaaay to busy to cook! lol

No comments:

Post a Comment